This is the first Royal Society of Medicine Psychiatry Section intensive 3 day course on phenomenological psychopathology and the therapeutic interview in commonly encountered psychiatric conditions and severe psychopathology.
Thu 7 Nov 2019 from 9:30am to 9 Nov 2019 at 5:00pm
Royal Society of Medicine
Organised by Professor George Ikkos and Giovanni Stanghellini, this event will celebrate the seminal landmark first edition of the “Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology” which applies to a core audience of daily psychiatric and mental health practice. The course will be delivered and directed by the two Senior Editors of the Handbook; Professor Giovanni Stanghellini and Matthew Broome, as well as other international experts.
Delegates will be presented with an in-depth view and scope of phenomenological psychiatry, from general terms to a therapeutic interview from patients with mood disorders, schizophrenia, eating and personality disorders.
Delegates must attend all three days. On completion of the course delegates will receive a certificate.
If you are interested in paying to watch this event as a live stream and on-demand video, please get in touch here: [email protected].
- What is phenomenological psychopathology and what does it offer clinical psychiatry, psychology and mental health?
- The psychopathological (clinical) interview:
- The experiential dimension in mental disorder
- The concept of ‘life-world’ as the basis for understanding patient perspectives
- The relevance of emotions and values in the assessment and understanding of mental disorders
- The therapeutic interview with the P.H.D. method
- The life-world of persons with manic-depressive disorders:
- Manic-depressive disorders as disorders of mood and identity
- The life-world of persons with schizophrenia spectrum disorders:
- Schizophrenia as a disorder of the self
- Differential phenomenology of manic-depressive vs. schizophrenia spectrum disorders
- The life-world of persons with eating disorders:
- Eating disorders as disorders of identity and corporeality
- The life-world of persons with borderline personality disorder:
- Borderline existence between dysphoria and anger
Case studies from participants will be presented on days 2 and 3 of this course. If you would like more information on submitting a case study to present please email [email protected]. Chosen participants will qualify for a discounted rate to attend the course.
For more info and booking, please refer to the RSM website