A current directory of all publications associated with Maudsley Philosophy Group
The Maudsley Philosophy Group has organised a series of seminars and high profile lectures which bring together clinicians and researchers with philosophers and public intellectuals.
Recent recordings: Prof Hugh Bowden, 'Hubris in Democratic Athens'.
04 Apr 2019
Some examples of conceptual work done by past clinicians at the Maudsley:
- Henry Maudsley. Body and will, being an essay concerning will in its metaphysical, physiological and pathological aspects. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1884
- Aubrey Lewis. Philosophy and Psychiatry. In A. Lewis “The state of psychiatry: Essays and addresses”. London: Routledge, 1967 (reprinted 2013)
- Aubrey Lewis. Classification and diagnosis in psychiatry: A historical note. In "The Later Papers of Sir Aubrey Lewis". Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1979
- Steven R. Hirsch and Michael Shepherd. Themes and Variations in European Psychiatry: An Anthology. Bristol: J. Wright, 1974
- Anthony Clare. Psychiatry in Dissent. London: Tavistock Publications, 1976
- Michael Shepherd. Conceptual Issues in Psychological Medicine. London: Tavistock Publications, 1990
- Derek Bolton and Jonathan Hill. Mind, Meaning and Mental Disorder. Oxford: Oxford Medical Publications, 1996